Cover story on The French Dispatch features Bob Yeoman, ASC’s latest collaboration with Wes Anderson.
Our new November 2021 issue offers a look at The French Dispatch, as well as a special focus on documentary cinematography, with coverage of Sabaya, The Rescue, The Velvet Underground and the mockumentary-style comedy The Nowhere Inn. Here’s a look at this month’s slate:
• Cinematographer Robert Yeoman, ASC (pictured above, setting a shot on Benicio Del Toro) discusses the comedic drama The French Dispatch, his latest feature collaboration with director Wes Anderson.
• Filmmaker Hogir Hirori shares his experience shooting the harrowing documentary Sabaya, on which he served as the project’s director, cinematographer and editor.
• Cinematographer Ian Seabrook discusses his work capturing underwater re-creations for The Rescue, about the 2018 rescue of a youth soccer team trapped in the Tham Luang cave in Thailand.
• AC speaks with The Nowhere Inn cinematographer Minka Farthing-Kohl and co-writers and stars Annie Clark and Carrie Brownstein about their work on the surreal mockumentary-style comedy.
• Picture Partners: Longtime collaborators Edward Lachman, ASC and director Todd Haynes reflect on their first documentary together: The Velvet Underground, about the influential rock band.
• Tech Focus: ASC member Christopher Probst offers his thoughts on a selection of software that many cinematographers employ during prep, production and post.
• The Virtual World: Craig Kief, ASC shares his experience shooting his first LED-wall production, the Disney Plus Halloween special Muppets Haunted Mansion.
• Shot Craft: A discussion of the techniques involved in capturing documentary “talking head” interviews.
• Clubhouse News: The ASC welcomes new members Barry “Baz” Idoine and Larry Smith; celebrates ASC members who received 2021 Emmy wins and nominations; congratulates Society members Joan Churchill, for a Lifetime Achievement Award from Doc NYC, and Roger Deakins, for the publication of his photography book Byways; and more.
• Wrap Shot: Kirsten Johnson, ASC in the desert outside Geneina, Sudan, shooting the 2007 documentary Darfur Now, one of several of Johnson’s projects showcased in her celebrated 2016 autobiographical documentary Cameraperson, about her career as a cinematographer.
The digital edition of this issue is also available now, with print copies en route to our subscribers worldwide. Not an AC subscriber yet? Do it today here.
On our cover: Student revolutionaries Zeffirelli (Timothée Chalamet) and Juliette (Lyna Khoudri) spearhead a passionate protest movement in The French Dispatch, directed by Wes Anderson and shot by Robert Yeoman, ASC. (Image courtesy of Searchlight Pictures.)