Death of honorary ASC member Halyna Hutchins demanded a hard look at following long-established protocols and maintaining vigilance.
The January issue of American Cinematographer presents a special report on set safety; a focus on the collaboration between costume designers and cinematographers; coverage of House of Gucci, The Last Duel, The Tragedy of Macbeth, Red Notice, The Power of the Dog; and more.
Here’s a look at this month’s slate:
• In a special report following the tragic on-set shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, a number of filmmakers — including representatives from the ASC Future Practices Committee and the International Cinematographers Guild — discuss the current state of on-set safety, as well as resources for filmmakers and how the industry should move forward.
• Academy Award-winning costume designers Colleen Atwood, Ruth E. Carter and Sandy Powell discuss their work, inspirations and process, and examine the relationship between cinematography and costume design.
• Cinematographer Dariusz Wolski, ASC discusses his collaborations with longtime creative partners director Ridley Scott and costume designer Janty Yates on the features House of Gucci and The Last Duel.
• A conversation with cinematographer Bruno Delbonnel, ASC, AFC and director Joel Coen on their stripped down, black-and-white version of the Shakespearean classic The Tragedy of Macbeth.
• Markus Förderer, ASC, BVK and writer-director Rawson Marshall Thurber explain how they enlisted vintage optics, the latest drone and camera tech, and an LED volume for the action-comedy Red Notice.
• Ari Wegner, ACS details her work on director Jane Campion’s Western The Power of the Dog, adapted by Campion from Thomas Savage’s 1967 eponymous novel.
• Shot Craft: A look at moiré and the work of Swedish physicist and electrical engineer Harry Nyquist.
• Short Takes: Joan Churchill, ASC discusses her and co-director Alan Barker’s work on the documentary short Shoot From the Heart, about the career of ASC legend Haskell Wexler.
• Clubhouse News: The latest bulletins from the Society feature the welcoming of new ASC members Charles Libin and Loren Yaconelli.
• Wrap Shot: Looking back at the musical Moulin Rouge — shot by Donald McAlpine, ASC, ACS and directed by Baz Luhrmann — with special note of art director/costume designer Catherine Martin, set decorator Brigitte Broch and costume designer Angus Strathie, who took home Oscars for their work on the picture.
Not an AC subscriber yet? Sign up now for our print or digital edition.