Special focus on indie production, the proliferation of LED volume stages, coverage on In the Heights, Black Widow and more.
The new August 2021 issue of American Cinematographer offers a look at the global expansion of LED volumes and a special focus on indie productions, as well as coverage of In the Heights and Black Widow, and profiles of AC’s 2021 Rising Stars of Cinematography. Here’s a look at this month’s slate:
• A map and roster of LED volumes across the world:
• Cinematographers Edu Grau, ASC, AEC; Aurélien Marra; and Paula Huidobro, AMC discuss their striking work on the respective indie features Passing, Two of Us and CODA:
• Cinematographer Alice Brooks, director Jon M. Chu and producer Lin-Manuel Miranda detail their collaboration on the musical In the Heights:
• An examination of the aerial work that enhanced the cinematography of Gabriel Beristain, ASC, AMC, BSC on Marvel’s latest feature, Black Widow, on which Jeremy Braben of Helicopter Film Services served as aerial cinematographer:
• AC spotlights its 2021 Rising Stars of Cinematography:
• Shot Craft: A guide to tracking and harnessing sunlight.
• In Memoriam: Society member John Bailey pens a tribute to friend and colleague Willy Kurant, ASC, AFC.
• Wrap Shot: Frederick Elmes, ASC and director Jim Jarmusch on location for the 2016 indie drama Paterson.
The digital edition of this issue is now available to subscribers, and print copies will be arriving soon.
Not an AC subscriber yet? Do it today here.